Millage: St. Clair County Department of Veterans Affairs
2017- 2022 St. Clair County Department of Veterans Affairs Millage
What Does the Department of Veterans Affairs Provide?
- WE help veterans with physical and/or mental disabilities from their exposure to combat and noncombat related trauma and their families obtain and maintain all veterans’ related benefits from federal, state, and local government agencies.
- WE provide services yearly to over 13,000 St. Clair County veterans and their families.
- WE have been providing professional support and assistance for over 75 years.
- WE are a trusted and accredited resource for finding, applying for, receiving and maintaining veterans’ benefits.
- OUR accredited counselors and professional staff eliminate or reduce the frustration and confusion of navigating the VA process.
- OUR goal is to obtain the maximum veterans' benefits available for our veterans’ while making the process understandable for the veterans and their families.
How Much is the Millage?
- MILLAGE is 0.10 mills for six years (2017 through 2022). $5 a year for homeowner.
- MILLAGE generates $562,824 yearly starting in 2017.
What Does the Millage Funding Provide?
- Office Staff: Full-time Director, 3-Full-time Benefits Counselors, 1- Full-time Claims Analyst , 1-Part-time Secretary, 1-Part-time Clerk Typist, and 1-Outreach Coordinator to provide:
- Case management and continuing support for veterans who receive VA benefits.
- Assistance in the claims filing process with the Federal Government for injuries or illness, federal death benefits, and survivor benefits.
- Assisting of St. Clair County burial allowance claims.
- Community Outreach: Support and partner with the community at-large by providing education and dissemination of information about veteran benefits and myriad resources.
- Annual Events: Veteran Career Fair and employment readiness programs.
- Emergency Financial Assistance: For indigent veteran and their dependents for rent, prescription costs, medical bills, food vouchers, heating bills, gas cards, and much more.
- Staff Training: Maintain accreditation and certification for Director and Full-Time Benefits Counselors and Outreach Coordinator.
What Is the Actual Millage Language?
RENEWAL OF THE ST. CLAIR COUNTY VETERANS AFFAIRS MILLAGE
Shall the St. Clair County levy a Veterans Affairs Millage of .10 mills per year ($.10 per thousand dollars of taxable value of taxable real and personal property) constituting a renewal of a previously authorized voter approved millage, for a period of six (6) years, 2017 through 2022 inclusive, generating estimated revenues the first year the renewed millage is authorized and levied of approximately $562,824. If approved, funds from this millage will be used to provide financial aid to veterans and their families and to provide financial support for the administration of the St. Clair County Department of Veterans Affairs.